Bubble Chairs

/
1 Comments
I recently fell in love with a chair in a decor store. It is the perfect mix of future and retro and it is surprisingly comfortable.

This is it - a Eero Aarnio bubble chair. Aarnio is a Finnish designer who was very popular in the 60's. This chair, designed in 1968 is one of his signature designs and has become a symbol of futurist furniture. I tried it out expecting it to be an odd feeling, better for looking at than sitting in. But I was wrong. It felt like a warm little cocoon and I could have curled up and lived in the thing. 

I considered it, and my budget, for quite some time because it so happened I spotted one in a end-of-line decor shop at a ridiculously good price. Ultimately I decided I didn't know how I would actually get it into my condo and that I'd have to take some measurements. The next time I returned, it was gone. Snooze = Lose.

I recently came across these amazing illuminated bubble chairs by Rousseau commissioned for private project. Rousseau is a design studio in London England that manufactures luxury products, interiors, props and works on bespoke events. This project included a redesign of the bubble chair infusing illustrative artwork and LED lighting to create a piece that could be viewed as art or enjoyed as furniture.










The bubble chair "Information Lounge" at Frankfurt Airport
Considered an industrial design classic, the bubble chair is elegant and simple, but it also is brash and daring. I think that's what appeals to me most, is the way that a simple, colourless geometric design has such impact.

It is comfortable and has an interesting rocking sensation, not at all like any other rocking chair I've spent time in. It's also oddly quiet in the chair, like all outside noise is lessened. People were talking to me while I was in the chair and I zoned out. In my place with the bright west sunsets, I think I'd probably curl up in this chair on a sunny winter afternoon and fall asleep in a few minutes. I like thinking about that already.

There are many knock offs on the market and I know the one I saw was not an original. It's possible that it wouldn't hold up, the acrylic would crack, or the hardware wouldn't be of good quality. Which would be unfortunate, because even the knock-offs aren't exactly cheap. Research tells me an authentic chair will set you back about six thousand dollars, including shipping and taxes. 

I guess I'm putting this one in the dream file for now.

Links: 



1 comment:

Archetypen said...

Lovely and stylish chairs. Love to have these for my home.

Thanks
Bubble Chair